Friday, January 13, 2012

The King so Far isn't the Thing

Since the day I found out I was pregnant with Alex, I made a commitment to try my very best to avoid all of the sleep problems we had with Hannah. Namely, co-sleeping and letting her suck herself to sleep.

So when Alex arrived we promptly placed him in his playpen/crib, teaching him how to fall asleep on his own. And that is what he did for a good 3 months. Sometimes with a pacifier, sometimes without.

All was going well. Great naps (albeit short), 5 hour nighttime stretches - and then the 14th week happened.

My last post was about growth spurts and Wonder Weeks. Needless to say Alex was a bit of a baby monster on Monday, crying and constantly wanting to eat. So I let him suck, and suck and suck.

Boy, do we ever have a problem now.

My husband and I are secretly hoping that its just a phase/spurt that will pass but this little man has developed a major sucking addiction in the past 4 days.

How did that happen so fast?

He's waking up every 2 hours, screaming bloody murder if he doesn't have a boob or pacifier when he wakes up, and getting totally agitated when he loses the pacifier in his crib.

Wow. My biggest mistake seems to have come back to haunt me.

So now I'm trying my best to keep him from getting overtired while using the Pantley No Cry solution of slowly pulling him off or removing the pacifier once he is asleep.

But I'll admit that he has spent the good part of his past two nights in our bed.

Pretty ironic considering we got our new king size bed delivered on Monday and haven't had one good sleep in it yet (the kids' fault, not Stearns & Foster)

So what's a mom to do now that she is back where she hoped she'd never be?!

Fingers crossed that this will pass. If not, at least I've got an arsenal of tricks up my sleeve.

No comments:

Post a Comment