Monday, April 19, 2010

Slim Pickings

In preparation for my first day at the office I decided it was time to refresh my wardrobe. With limited shopping excursions during mat leave (for myself, Hannah's closet is fully stocked) I felt like I was wearing the same thing every day.

So with a pre-determined budget I set out downtown to stock up for spring.

H&M, Forever 21, Banana Republic, The Gap...I visited them all. And ended up with one measly t-shirt. As cute as the sequin anchor tee is, I was rather disappointed about having money burning a hole in my pocket.

I don't know if it was the anticipation of finding great fashion that I had been missing out on for so many months or just bad timing with tank tops and dresses abound. While temperatures might be seasonably warm, I'm not quite ready to bare all just yet. And the few things I had on my list (brown leggings, a tunic, a floral shirt) couldn't be found. Maybe I had waited too long and they are now passe?

Feeling just a tad blue I tried to think of other stores that might make the trip successful. BCBG (not so budget friendly), Old Navy, Simons...nada! I wanted to hit up Zara but the downtown location is closed for construction.

So, what's a girl to do? How about getting lucky just next to the produce aisle? Yes, Joe lifted my spirits and certainly made me feel fresh. The local Maxi made me smile with prices that are right and basics (like cardigans, tees and henleys) that will brighten my mood and my wardrobe. And while I did go just a tad over budget, I figured it best to stock up while I could find things I actually like.

While my wardrobe is far from revamped, it's a step in the right direction. Lesson learned. A mistake I have been making since I was a teenager. Buy it when you see it or it will be gone.

Who knew shopping could be so stressful?

No comments:

Post a Comment