Thursday, November 19, 2009

Labour Pains

It took me 8 months to realize I had it easy.

Into the hospital at 7pm, dilated 3cm. Out of the delivery room at 2:30am (3:30am with the time change) with a precious little girl in my arms.

Sure, to this day I complain about the epidural wearing off at around 8cm but in retrospect, I really had it easy (albeit painful).

Maybe it wasn't so much time that has made me realize my luck (thanks Hannah) but a slew of friends having babies. Emergency c-sections, 24+ hours in the delivery room, forceps...the list of delivery horror stories goes on and on.

We are currently waiting on news from a friend who was induced last night and after over 24 hours is now getting a c-section. Now, that's a strong fighter, a motivated mom-to-be. No, she didn't have a choice but can you imagine a man on the delivery table?

So I dedicate this post to all you moms out there. Whether you struggled in labour or laughed off the pain with an epidural, I salute you. No man could ever do what we have done. And even though labour memories may continue to haunt us...we'd do it all again cause the payoff is certainly worth the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment