Monday, July 6, 2009

Nomenclature

What’s in a name?

From the moment I found out I was having a little girl I knew her name would be Hannah. I had loved the name for years, for numerous reasons (no not because it was a palindrome, which I only realized after she was born).

But when it came time to name this blog it wasn’t as simple a task. How could I make it personal to my experiences as a mom? I could name it Hannahsmom.com, EightThreeNine.com (her birth date), or a million other options. So why Midnight Mom?

Well, throughout my pregnancy I knew I had to value my sleep while it lasted. My 4am bathroom jaunts were preparing me for sleepless nights and early morning feedings. What I didn’t realize however was that my child-to-be would be a night owl. I figured most babies went to bed around 7 or 8pm but not my little girl. When the clock strikes midnight that’s when her eyelids begin to flutter and she gets into a bedtime state of mind. And while I’m all for waiting it out until the enchanted carriage turns back into a pumpkin and the fairy godmother is no longer of service, I never expected this to be my new bedtime schedule. I know in a matter of weeks she’ll be hitting the sack early but…

My first discovery as a new mom. One of many more to come. Discoveries that I hope to share with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment